Monday, July 23, 2007

I done goshdarn done it

I read the last Harry Potter! Finished it yesterday at 3 am. Surprised at some bits, but not at others. I didn't really like the ending/epilogue thing. I thought more could have been explained...but that's that. Nada mas! They're going to have a helluva time working that one out into a movie, I tell ya that.

Saturday: What else? Had lunch at Pluto's with Natalya, Christina and Craig. It was nice to catch up and hear how things are going. Natalya's lawyer-training seems to be going well, but if there's one thing I know for sure, it's that I'm really glad I never went into law. It just doesn't mesh with what I want for a career. P.S. if you're going to have lunch with that crowd, be 30 min late and you'll be just on time. I missed that memo :-P but it did give me more time to read HP7.

Saturday afternoon/evening: Went to SF MOMA with Morgan. This confused me when we got there because Morgan had suggested going, but he definitely does NOT like modern art. Truth be told, neither do I- I just don't get it. There was one exhibit of three canvases painted white. That was it. I like the really wacky ones that sort of make you go, eh?! and think a little, but some of the other ones (as Morgan puts it) just look like the artist got lazy. I really liked some of the photographs though. Especially one of this woman jumping over a puddle- she looks a bit like Mary Poppins, floating midair. P.S. If curious, the exhibition is featuring Matissee right now.

After that, with plenty of time to kill before dinner, we wandered up to union square, went into Borders so I could read some more HP7, then walked in almost a circle because Morgan was lost (ADMIT IT! It's true) and made it to E&O Trading Post for dinner. The set-up for the restaurant is really nifty- with wooden birdcages hanging from the ceiling, and giant lanterns. We had this portabello mushroom appetizer that was soooooo delicious, as well as really good calamari. I'm afraid nearly all restaurants make drinks too strong for me though, so the pomegranate margarita I had made me really glad that the "atmospheric" lighting was on the dark side.

Sunday: Morgan and I loaded up his truck and drove up to Redding. It took a while. We got to his parent's house, unloaded his stuff, and I played with the dogs a bit (Oakley, who's white/blond and cah-razy, and Deek who's older with cataracts and a very mournful expression). It was really hot up in Redding, but not as bad as the last time we were there, when I got to try to waterski! We ran to the store, made sure his stuff was packed right, and I watched some Law & Order while Morgan set-up the DVD and surround sound media system for his folks. His parents came back, plus Morgan's cousin Alli (person! not weight loss supplement), who was visiting for the week. Alli's into the whole punk scene and had this cool sort of scraggly blond hair with the ends dyed pink. We all piled in the car and drove to a nice little Italian restaurant to have dinner, where Mason (Morgan's younger brother) joined us. It was a good dinner, and by the time we hit the road again, it was pretty late, but we made it! Kind of sick of long car trips though.

Need to work on the paper for lab...sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home